Whether you’re completely new to sewing, have never touched a sewing machine, or are coming back to it after a long absence, this class will give you the confidence to dust off your machine and get going! We’ll cover everything you need to know to get started on your sewing journey. Topics covered include:
- Sewing machine primer (threading, winding a bobbin, using the pedal, how to change presser feet and needles, adjusting the width and length of your stitches)
- straight and zigzag stitch
- reverse and locking stitches
- seams, and ways to finish them
- pressing and why it’s the sewist’s best friend
- cutting out a basic pattern
- questions you may have about buying fabric
As well, we’ll be making a decorative pillow cover for you to take home!
You are welcome to use our sewing machines (Janome HD 5000) or bring your own; if you do chose to bring your own machine please bring the instruction manual with you. It is strongly recommended that your own machine have been serviced recently and is in good working order.
Please indicate if you would like to use one of our machines or if you plan to bring your own.
All class registrations are subject to our registration policy .
Class will be held at the Spool & Spindle Studio:
142 Waterloo St.
To encourage our new sewists in their journey, each Learn to Sew student will receive a one-time use 20% off coupon for use at Spool & Spindle (online or in-store).
Level: New to Sewing, Beginner